Monday, December 19, 2016

Bless the Beasts


Back in the sixth grade I was in that classroom of smart kids. We had, somehow, completed the elementary school curriculum and we were doing all kind of cool independent work under the tutelage of our excellent teacher Mrs. Joanna Stork. I remember the very cool activities that she had us doing; lots of creative and independent work.

It was in that class that I read Glendon Swarthout's Bless the Beasts & Children. At this same time Karen Carpenter was on the charts with her song Bless the Beasts and the Children to the hit film Bless the Beasts & Children. That song is was sublime then and it is sublime now. It was also the same year that I read Born Free by Joy Adams...I was so moved.

This book came to my attention the other day and I decided to give it another go. I have so often found that revisiting books I've read in the past is such a wonderful trip. I should mention that I've never seen the film.

Back soon with the 411.


No comments:

Post a Comment